Today is the day! We are so excited to start our new blog series that embodies a vegan, ethical lifestyle. Make sure to follow us for more lifestyle stories; including recipes, gift ideas, and cruelty-free shopping tips. At James&Co we love being thoughtful, and take the time to thank and appreciate all of our clients and partners with a personal touch. This leads us to our first gift idea for your partner, friend, or even co-worker!
Valentine’s Day is filled with flowers, chocolates, and expectations. This year, we think it’s important to add a homemade touch to your gift. Whoever your Valentine may be, they are sure to enjoy our delicious chocolate dipped strawberries. This dessert paired with a James&Co accessory and maybe even some flowers will make your Valentine’s Day gift a huge success!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Recipe:
Makes 12 strawberries
This recipe uses a simplified tempering technique (melting, then cooling, then reheating the chocolate) plus a little shortening as a stabilizer to help the sauce harden to a snappy coating. We’ve called for vegan chocolate chips, but the recipe will work with any chocolate chips.
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbs. mini vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs. vegetable shortening
- 1 Tbs. organic creamy peanut butter
- 12 large, long-stemmed strawberries or fruit of your choice
- Line baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper. Fill medium saucepan with 1 inch of water, and bring to a boil.
- Place 3/4 cup chocolate chips in nonreactive metal bowl that fits snugly in saucepan over water. Remove saucepan from heat, place bowl on top, and let stand 3 minutes, or until half of chocolate chips are melting and shiny, but still retain their shape. Carefully remove bowl from saucepan, and wipe bottom dry.
- Stir in shortening and peanut butter, and continue stirring 2 to 3 minutes, or until shortening is incorporated. Immediately stir in remaining 3/8 cup chocolate chips, and stir 3 minutes more, or until chocolate will not melt any further. (It will be almost, but not completely melted.)
- Place bowl of chocolate over water in saucepan again, and stir 30 to 40 seconds, or until mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan, and stir chocolate 1 minute more.
- Hold 1 strawberry by stem, and dip halfway into chocolate. Gently scrape some chocolate from 1 side of strawberry (to avoid chocolate “foot”), and place scraped side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strawberries and chocolate.
Hint: Place your baking sheet in the freezer or refrigerator. After each strawberry is dipped place it immediately on the baking sheet. This will let the chocolate cool faster and maintain its shape instead of becoming a chocolate mess.